Overcoming Menopausal hair loss: signs, causes and treatment
Our hair is an expression of ourselves. Through colour and style, we can express our personality and how we wish to be perceived. As it forms such an integral part of our identity, it can be quite upsetting when it uncontrollably changes throughout different stages of life: menopause being one of those changes for women. Menopause is a biological process which all women will experience at some point in their life. During this time, women will experience a number of physical changes, with hair loss possibly being a prominent one. Many women will notice a change in hair pattern, potentially experiencing hair thinning, breakage, and loss during menopause. To help raise awareness for World Menopause Day, Nioxin (the top salon brand to help you achieve thicker and fuller hair) talked with trichologist Mark Blake about menopausal hair loss, how to identify it, and how to treat it.
What hair changes should I look out for?
During menopause, women's hair density, volume, length, and hair fall may change. As the thinning spreads through the top of your scalp, the parting may become noticeably thinner (sometimes resembling a Christmas tree pattern on top). Other indicators include hair that has stopped growing or has begun to recede around the temples and front hairline, as well as each individual strand of hair appearing thinner.
The causes of menopausal hair loss
Androgens are a group of hormones that include testosterone and androstenedione, and some women’s hair follicles can be quite sensitive to these. As menopause approaches, oestrogen levels begin to fall and the balance between oestrogen and testosterone is disrupted. DHT is a metabolite of testosterone which has been connected to hair loss. As oestrogen and progesterone maintain hair in the growing (anagen) phase, should the balance of these hormones be disrupted, the density, volume, and length of the hair may change.
How to overcome hair loss?
There’s no harm in trying everything possible that could potentially help your hair to look thicker and fuller. What’s important is finding the right solution that works best for you. Below is a list of steps which will hopefully help you get the beautiful hair you want and deserve.
- A healthy lifestyle: eating a well-balanced diet
- Keeping hydrated: drink plenty of water to flush out toxins from the body
- Exercise regularly: a great way to improve mental and physical health
- A good sleep schedule: give your body the time it needs to relax, repair, and regenerate overnight
Product recommendation: Nioxin Night Density Rescue
- Relieve stress: the chemistry in your brain can have either a positive or negative impact on hair growth
- Care for your scalp: shampoo and condition your hair and scalp as much as you need to! Massaging your dermal papilla (which is the part of your scalp where the hair is created) will help blood flow to this area which is required to promote hair growth
- Exfoliate your scalp: don’t just do your face!
- Derma rollers: use them gently on the scalp to help promote hair growth
Product recommendation: Nioxin System Kit
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT): speak to your GP as HRT may be one of the best defences to overcome menopausal hair thinning and loss
- Trichology: Investigate on a medical level and book an appointment with a trichologist
- Speak to your hairdresser: you can always ask your stylist for advice on what is best for your hair
Product recommendation: Nioxin Diaboost
Nioxin Night Density
- Pamper yourself before bed and add Nioxin Night Density to your bedtime routine if you’re starting to notice signs of hair loss / thinning.
- The overnight leave-in treatment contains a potent mix of antioxidants which are known to defuse free radicals on the surface of the scalp.
- Suitable for all hair types, it has been clinically proven to boost hair density in 2 months*
Nioxin System Kits
- Nioxin's System Kits are specially formulated hair thinning treatments, tailored to suit different hair needs.
- For thicker, fuller-looking hair, cleanse, condition, and treat the scalp and hair.
Nioxin Anti-Hair Loss Serum
- A leave-on hair treatment thickens the hair from the 1st use and reduces hair loss in 8 weeks thanks to improved hair anchorage.
- This hair loss treatment significantly improves the appearance of your hair.
- A hair treatment which helps you get thicker hair by increasing the thickness of each strand, giving your hair an instant fuller appearance. After just one application, the hair is more manageable, fuller, and noticeably thicker.
- Diaboost uses HTX technology, which contains ingredients such as caffeine and niacinamide, to thicken the hair at the roots while also protecting against hair breakage.
No matter the reason, if you’re experiencing signs of hair thinning, or hair loss, our team of experts are here to help.
Nixoin is available online and in selected salons. If you’re not sure what products or style would be best for your hair, get in touch to speak to our expert stylists who will recommend the best solution for your hair. We would love to see your results so make sure you tag @SupercutsUK so we can re share on our channel!