Hair thinning affects many men and women and can be caused by a variety of either short- or long-term issues. Whether it's genetics, stress, a poor diet, or a gender-related issue from pregnancy or menopause, the important thing is to figure out what's causing it so you can find effective treatments that help to reduce hair loss. So, if you've been struggling with hair thinning or hair loss and aren't sure what's normal or how to manage it, keep reading because we could just have what you're looking for!
How much hair loss is normal?
Don't be alarmed if you notice your hair shedding; it's a completely normal process that occurs as part of our hair growth cycle. This is divided into three stages: anagen (growth), catagen (transitional), and telogen (resting). Each strand of your hair must go through each cycle at different times, and hair sheds during the telogen phase, allowing new hair to grow in its place. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, shedding 50-100 hairs per day is completely normal, so if you have mild hair loss, remember that it is a natural process. Although you won't be able to count every single strand, it's important to have a general idea of what's normal for you and what to look out for if you're shedding excessive amounts of hair.
How to tell if your hair is thinning
If you're concerned that you're losing more hair than usual, there are some warning signs to look for. These are some examples:
- Your hairbrush is getting clogged up with more hair, or you're noticing more when you wash your hair.
- Your ponytail feels much thinner.
- You notice more hairs on your pillow.
- Your scalp is more visible.
- Your hair parting is wider than usual.
These signs can be upsetting to discover however, the sooner you recognise the signs, the sooner you can treat the underlying cause.
How To Treat Hair Thinning
To begin, if you are noticing any of the above signs and are worried, consult your doctor. It is essential to identify the underlying cause so that you can determine your next steps. Whether it's a change in your diet or environment to reduce stress, a new hairstyle for thinning hair, or an update in your haircare routine to include thickening hair styling products, the important thing is that you find what works best for you, and here's how we can help.
Our best products for thinning hair
When it comes to treating thinning hair, your hair care routine is crucial! Using hair care products designed specifically to treat thinning hair or hair loss will make a significant difference. We have a brand that we believe should be included in your daily hair care routine to help you achieve thicker, fuller hair.
PUMP Thickening Range
The products are not only plant-based, vegan, and cruelty-free, but their unique recipe also helps strengthen hair follicles to attain thickness and volume.
- Apply a small amount into the palm of your hand before gently massaging into your roots. Avoid applying the product into the ends of your hair as you need the hair follicles to absorb it.
- If the product is not lathering, do not add more product. As thinning or fine hair is more prone to oiliness it will be best to either add more water or wash the hair twice to achieve the best result.
- The shampoo not only cleans your hair but also adds volume to the hair cuticle for fuller locks.
- Remove any excess water from the hair after using the thickening shampoo and massage a small amount of conditioner from the mid lengths to the ends of the hair. Allow this to sit in your hair for at least 3 minutes before rinsing.
- If your hair is prone to breakage and dryness, leave the conditioner on for the duration of your shower and rinse at the end for extra hydration.
- The conditioner will thicken the hair shaft, leaving it feeling silky smooth.
- Spray this onto damp or towel-dried hair after washing it with the thickening shampoo and conditioner.
- For optimal results, after spraying all over, tip your head upside and blast dry with a hair dryer for extra volume and a fuller appearance.
- Apply a tiny amount once a week after washing hair (replace conditioner with this) and work through from roots to ends. Allow this to sit for at least 10 minutes before rinsing.
- If your hair is feeling dry, flat, and dull, leave the mask on overnight for a deep nourishing treatment before rinsing out in the morning.
- Overnight, the proteins in the formula will sink into your hair and cause a 'swelling' in each hair stand. The next day you will see instant results and hair will looking and feel thicker and healthier.